Sunday, June 12, 2011

Networking?!?

I am definitely not one who is comfortable speaking with strangers. I'm much better at striking up conversation with the average person my age, but as I dive into the professional world and come face to face with experts in the field, my shyness has once again come to bite me in the bum. I think it's primarily due to my perceived lack of knowledge. Yes, I have a basic understanding of marine science, but so does everyone in the room. It's even worse if I don't have a good grasp of the subject. I can follow a physiology presentation well enough, but genetics? If it's more complicated than Drosophila than I just get lost.

My program holds weekly seminars that first years are required to attend and older students are expected to attend. They have been wonderful for learning new things. But then there's the "TGIF" reception after where we're expected to chit chat with the presenter. I must admit that I've only accomplished this twice all year, and I've never been the instigator. My lack of networking skills is so bad that it's been blatently pointed out by a professor : / But hopefully as I'm more comfortable with myself and with my field, I'll start conuddling (?) with the best of them (Warning - I've been known to create words, thus the question mark). If anyone has tips, please send them my way!

Fact of the Post: A study out of VIMS showed that jelly blooms are altering food webs and decreasing the amount of carbon available to these systems.


Yet another reason for me to despise jellies.


No comments:

Post a Comment