Thursday, June 9, 2011

Adult Life and Business Cards

First of all - I PASSED MY ORAL EXAM! I am officially a M.S. candidate, woooo!

I'm also glad to announce that I also have a nice large batch of business cards! I felt a little funny ordering them, mostly because until now I've still been feeling like a little kid. Now that I'm moving more into the lab and more from the classroom, it's finally dawning on me that I'm being a professional scientist. I know my introductory letter said this transition would happen, but until this week it felt like a far away event. Suddenly I found myself in a meeting with my committee discussing my project, and my thoughts and opinions mattered. Suddenly, I was a scientist. And suddenly, my business cards don't feel so silly. And I can't wait to start passing them out :)

I'm currently home for a week, but I have a month to put together a literature review for my committee. I'll also be getting into the lab and learning the techniques/manipulations that I'll be using. I'm also starting to look at attending CERF's biannual meeting in Daytona beach this fall. That'll involve registering to become a member, seeing if anyone else will go with me, and trying to get some funding from the school to lessen costs. It seems a bit daunting now, but a couple of my friends are going to a conference next month so I'll be looking to them to help me out. Also, I'm just too excited to start meeting people in the field and practice my apparently lacking networking skills lol. I'll get into that another time.

Fact of the post: Studies are showing that ocean acidification may be impacting the ability of tropical fish to smell or hear. Sad :/


Bahhhh I can't hear!


No comments:

Post a Comment