Friday, December 16, 2011

The Second Time Around

So I finished my first semester as a second year grad student. The overall tone was initially stressful, but in the end it was a great improvement over last year.

- It took longer than I anticipated to complete my thesis proposal due to some conflict within my committee (one person wanted far more detail than what the rest of us felt was needed for a proposal; although this person made excellent points which I plan on addressing by the time I defend)
- I was down to one class (Toxicology - no lab) and a seminar (Speciation/Evolution). I expected to really enjoy my seminar and just get through Tox....ended up completely switched. I loved Tox, and I'm glad that I've chosen a career that I'm genuinely interested in. Seminar became a bit more of a chore, but it was still a very valuable class and I'm glad I took it.
- I have been able to get involved in my program in new ways, mainly sitting in at prospective student lunches. I love getting to know possible future students and sharing my experiences and why I love my program.
- I'm now the one looking at the first years and giggling to myself, knowing that no matter how hard it gets they'll survive just like we all did.
- I presented my first real poster at my program's research colloquium. I received excellent feedback and was able to share my work with others.
- I have completed about 1/3 of my project; I has data!
- Getting through club drama :(

Looking forward to next semester...
- Presenting another poster at the graduate poster session held by the entire graduate school.
- Presenting at a CONFERENCE!!!
- Taking invertebrate zoology
- Figuring out how to finance my last year of grad school (I wouldn't mind teaching again!)
- Becoming a dog sitter with my roommies! I'm already in love with the bulldog we'll be caring for
- Trying to fix mentioned club drama

Last but not least, marvel at my amazingly dorky oceanography stickers, courtesy of my friend/Secret Santa!

Fact of the Post: From WhySharksMatter at Southern Fried Science - 1 out of 6 of the species featured in "Finding Nemo" are threatened with extinction.

Maybe Disney should add that in the bonus features...

No comments:

Post a Comment