Friday, December 23, 2011

Knowledge all around

My friends and I have a "Wednesday Night Book Club", one night a week that we've set aside to read, chat, and enjoy each other's company. One friend brought up the topic of knowledge and learning. She stated that she loves the fact that one can never stop learning; there will always be something new to discover. I got so excited because that was the first time someone verbalized what I've always felt.

I love to learn. Yes, I'm a nerd. I often watch the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, Animal Planet. I regularly visit museums, aquariums, and science centers. I can spend hours on the computer reading random Wikipedia pages. Sometimes it's overwhelming to think about all the information out there. And it's a good overwhelming. I'll never run out of things to learn, and that's the most amazing thing ever.

I feel that's what drew me into the science field. We'll never reach a point where we know everything. Especially in marine science. We've only started to scratch the surface of what we know about the marine realm. It's a field where you can be the one to make new discoveries every day, and who doesn't grow up wanting to discover? Who doesn't want to say "Yes, the world knows this now because of me."

Fact of the Post: More of an announcement....the National Zoo in DC is now home to a Giant Pacific octopus named Pandora! Excuse me while I run over to meet him!

I'm a curious one!

No comments:

Post a Comment